Thursday, November 8, 2012

Book Review: Adoption is a Family Affair




One thing I looked for when I was beginning the adoption process was books… lots and lots of books on adoption.  So this post will be a review about a book that I really liked. My guess is that people will either love it or hate it. The book is "Adoption is a Family Affair" by Patricia Irwin Johnston. I had read on a blog somewhere that the adoptive family bought this book for every member in their extended family. I was curious, so I ordered one off of Amazon (because Barnes and Noble severely lacks adoption books in my town).


The book is very thin and a quick read. The book spends a lot of time discussing fears that family members may have when an adoption occurs, such as: race, disability, open adoption, cost, wait, and many other topics. It more importantly discusses things that should NOT be said to the parents.  Some chapters you'll be able to skim right over because they will not apply to your particular situation, while other chapters you'll want to photocopy and mail out to everyone you know.

Overall, I thought this book was very good for my family in-particular because we have not dealt with an adoptive situation on my side, although my husband’s  family had.  (But they still got a copy also!) Along with this book we sent a "Family Letter" indicating how we got to the point of adoption (our families were not told about our fertility issues for a long time) and how we intended to raise and educate our daughter in relation to her adoption. It was important for us to indicate to our families that WE would decide what she would know and when, and that we wholly expected them to abide by our wishes (although I did not think it would be a problem... just an "in case" clause of sorts). I find that anything that educates my family and friends about adoption is a plus, and I'll gladly get the information to them.

This book is also good for those thinking about adoption. It raises questions that your family members may have about the situation that you might not have considered. Adoption is a big change for everyone involved, and this book attempts to serve as a guide through some of the potential problem areas.  The world of adoption can be very confusing for those on the outside – this book helps to make the path a little clearer.

(I was not compensated for this review… I just really liked the book and found it helpful.)


No comments:

Post a Comment